Monday, July 9, 2012

Maybe I should just stick with oil.


Underpainting done in Ivory Black and Payne's Grey

First layers of colors glazed on using Liquin.
Cheetah Girl, in progress    Karina Prado
I had purchased oil paints a few months ago with the intention of experimenting with them and taking a break from acrylics. I hadn't used oils for about ten years and back then I was using turpentine and linseed oil as blending mediums. I find that oils are easier to work with when I compare the process to working with acrylic paints. The blending process alone is miraculous. I like the richness and the consistency of oils. It's like my mind just remembered what to do. I should also add that I find the smell of oil paint amazing. I think that I may stick with them for now, since the experience was so enjoyable and less frustrating for me.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work, totally agree about the oil paints. I do some portraiture painting myself, and blending the skin part with oils, as compared to acrylics, is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thank you!
      Thanks for reading my post. I used Liquin as the glazing medium and it worked great. It sped up the drying time, but I also think it may be toxic. I woke up with a sore throat and a little discomfort in my chest after working with it. I might have to go back to linseed.

      Delete