Monday, October 31, 2011

The Creative Process: The Geisha

Day 1
My intention was to paint a heart. I had a sketch and everything (see previous post).
I painted it. I didn't like it. It was ugly. I hated the flames. It looked like a light bulb.

My thoughts:
Why is this so ugly?
I give up! Why can't I paint a heart? What a waste of a canvas! I can't waste a canvas.
Maybe it's not time to paint a heart yet.
Leave it alone.

Conclusion:
Frustration.

Day 2

Since I can't waste a canvas, I decided to make the heart the background layer. I will hide it.
 This is my solution to fix the heart problem. I decided to paint a geisha and just study form and color instead. Her kimono is the shape of the heart, and she hides it.

My thoughts:
I'm painting a geisha. What does this say about me?
Why am I trying to cover up the heart instead of fixing it?

Conclusion:
No conclusion.

Day 3


I'm feeling vulnerable tonight and I want to work it out on the canvas. I don't feel the calming blue/green of the current background. I want to feel power. I start painting the color red. It's my favorite color and I start feeling calmer. It doesn't make sense to me, but it's okay. I know that my art is not for anyone else. I know it's healing me. I feel calm, so I paint her kimono turquoise to express that.

My thoughts:
I hope I dream about this.
Because you came from somewhere inside of me, I'll paint black and white stars in your horizon.

Conclusion:
My art is powerful because it heals me. This is my creative process.



2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and process. It's definitely powerful.

    ReplyDelete